Sunday, August 11, 2013

Why I Quit my Teaching Job

So many changes are happening in my life right now, I decided I need to start writing about them all. One of the biggest changes is that I quit my job with Washoe County. I resigned. I made a big, scary adult decision. So let me explain why and what led up to this decision.
We recently moved out to Fernley so that I could actually live with my husband again. This meant a 45 minute drive each way for me. I had gotten used to the idea that I was actually going to have to drive it every day and for me it just was what it was. However, in the weeks leading up to the first day we as teachers had to go back to school, I found myself becoming increasingly more and more unmotivated. To say the least, I was dreading going back. It wasn't the drive or all the new requirements placed on me as a teacher this year (we got a new principal and he means business). I was miserable. I cried a lot. I felt sick, I was nervous, I was mean and unpleasant. I decided I would apply to ONE job and see where that got me. If I didn't get the job, I would know that I was supposed to be in Washoe County as a Special Education Teacher. So I went to an interview for a position as a special ed teacher. The next day the principal called me and said that I was their top pick, but that the previous week he had hired a new teacher who would not be able to take the other of the two jobs that were open due to licensing issues, so they could not hire me. However, he said that they were so impressed with me that he gave my name to a principal at another school for a 2nd grade job. Yeah right I thought, they will never let me switch to general ed, even though that has been my dream since I was in 2nd grade myself. Anyway, long story short, I was offered the job. I had to move fast because WCSD was starting in 2 days and I had to let my principal know. So after discussing it with my Dad, I felt so strongly that this was the school for me. It is a gorgeous, new school only 1 minute from my house, and it was my dream job. Going through UNR, they tell you that a WCSD contract is good as gold and once you get one, don't ever give it up. But I truly felt SO much relief and stress just leave me once I accepted the position and resigned from my old one. And something amazing happened; I became excited about teaching again. I wanted to go back to school and I got to do all the things that I never got to do as a special ed teacher. And the thought of waking up and never having to schedule, write, hold or reschedule an IEP again was liberating. Talking to my husband today, I realized why my heart needed so badly to get out of special education:
1. The endless amounts of paperwork that take time away from working with students.
2. Never getting ahead because there is always an IEP to revise or schedule.
3. Working tirelessly to schedule and organize everyone to be able to come to the IEP, taking time to write the IEP only for the principal to not adhere to it ( even though it's not supposed to happen, it does.) In essence, I was sick of being a slave to something that made me so powerless.
4. Feeling like a second rate teacher. Special Ed teachers are considered support staff. For somebody who has always wanted their own room this just didn't work for me.
5. having little control over the curriculum- I love planning and creating lessons and this year, I was so limited in what I was able to do.
There are more reasons on a personal level that I won't get into here. And let me clarify, I do NOT think that General Education is easier than Special Education. Not at all. However, I do believe that General Education involves more of what I love and enjoy about teaching. And I so wanted and needed to enjoy it again. I loved my kids and will miss them terribly, but I am so excited to regroup and reignite my passion for teaching again. It was a big risk but I truly believe it was one worth taking.

No comments: