Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Constitution in Action!

I saw several things this week that I feel the need to share.

1. A man outside a car dealership with a sign reading, "Reno Dodge Stole My Truck. Diesels are Lemons."

2. A group of old men at UNR handing out free Testaments. Very few people accepted.

3. A Lone man at UNR with a sign asking people if they were interested in voting for ralph nader.


These three incidents really impressed me. While I might not agree with their viewpoints, faiths or political opinions, these people were out exercising their first amendment right, something that as Americans we should hold with high regard. I know it made me proud to be an American. It made me appreciative of the rights that I have. And just as much as those people were out there expressing their opinions, I have a right to say, "No thanks, not interested." I did however accept one of the testaments in hopes that it would give at least one person the courage to accept one as well. We have the freedom of religion- yet people are afraid of religion. They don't want anything to do with it, but i'm sure if they lived in a country where that right was taken away, religion would be a huge deal to them. Basically what I am saying is be grateful for what we have been blessed with. We might be having an economic crisis right now, and other governmental problems may be troubling us, but look around and appreciate the rights and freedoms that we do have and emjoy because it could be a lot worse.

No comments: