Monday, October 6, 2008

Taking the First Step!!!

Today was my first day in the classroom at Van Gorder Elementary school. I am assisting in a 6th grade classroom which is the grad that I want to eventually teach . It was a great learning experience for me. Right now I am just trying to take it all in and learn as much as I can. I immediately took a liking to Jim, a toe head boy who underestimates his abilities but is sweet as can be. He was my little buddy; answering all my questions and making me feel welcome. Jim is one of those kids who has been labeled "learning disabled," and it is to his detriment. I think Jim holds himself back because he isn't confident. But as I did his worksheet with him, he was able to anwer questions that some of the other 'meets the standard' children couldn't answer. I was very proud of my little buddy. I know we aren't supposed to pick favorites but I definitely think Jim and I will get along. Anyway, the teacher made me feel very welcome and included me in the activities and I even made it into the Mrs category, my official school name is now Mrs. Lambson. My plan is to get my sub license and work with this teacher as I am now familiar with the students and the way the class is run. Some things about the class really surprised me: they use microphones. Apparently a teacher's voice is now not loud enough to override gabbing students, or they just block her out and now the school has resorted to microphones. Snaps. Instead of clapping, the class snaps to give praise. Lack of transitions. The teacher went from one activity to another- writing, reading, math. Boom Boom Boom. If I was a child, I don't know if I could handle that. I am glad to have this experience. It seems like it is going to be a fun year and already after a day I feel much more confident to sub. The students aren't really that intimidating. They even said I was nicer than the other assistant. Yay for Mrs Juliann!!!

1 comment:

SarahBeth said...

Congratulations on your first day! That is so exciting - I am so proud of you : )